About the lab
PI: Corinna Bauer
The Bauer lab focuses on the application of multimodal MRI techniques (including relaxometry, diffusion methods, fMRI, and morphometry) to study the long-term neurodevelopmental consequences of early brain injury, specifically targeting white matter, neural networks, and the thalamus. Her team is working towards understanding the relationship between brain structure, function, and myelination with performance on assessments of higher-order visual processing in individuals living with cerebral visual impairment (CVI) and related neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative conditions.
Dr. Bauer is currently recruiting for her study. Please click here to view a pdf of the recruitment brochure.
Visual perception and attention in Cerebral Visual Impairment
The goal of this study is to characterize the deficits in visual perception and attention that are observed in individuals with CVI. This study also aims to determine the neural correlates of specific visual dysfunctions commonly observed in individuals with CVI.
Neuroplastic changes in structure, function, and morphometry in Cerebral Visual Impairment
The goal of this study is to determine the neuroplastic changes in brain morphometry, structural connectivity, and functional connectivity that occur in adolescents with CVI and relate these to specific visual deficits.
Long-term neurodevelopmental consequences of Periventricular leukomalacia
The goal of this study is to elucidate the brain’s long-term ability to compensate for neonatal hypoxic-ischaemic brain injury in preterm infants.
Assessment of myelination in vivo utilizing magnetic resonance imaging
The goal of this project is to develop a pipeline of MRI techniques to monitor and assess myelination in the context of early developmental brain injury.
- Bennet CR, Bauer CM, Bex PJ, Bottari D, Merabet LB. Visual search performance in cerebral visual impairment is associated with altered alpha band oscillations. Neuropsychologia. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2021.108011
- Pamir Z*, Bauer CM*, Bailin ES, Bex PJ, Somers DC, Merabet LB. Neural correlates associated with impaired global motion perception in cerebral visual impairment (CVI). Neuroimage: Clinical. 2021;32:102821 doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2021.102821
- Bauer CM, Papadelis C. Alterations in the structural and functional connectivity of the visuomotor network of children with periventricular leukomalacia. Seminars in Pediatric Neurology. 2019;31:48-56.
- Merabet LB, Devaney KJ, Bauer CM, Panja A, Heidary G, Somers DC. Characterizing visual field deficits in Cerebral/Cortical Visual impairment (CVI) using combined diffusion based imaging and functional retinotopic mapping: A case study. Front Syst Neurosci. 2016;10:13.
- Bauer C*, Yazzolino L*, Hirsch G, Cattaneo Z, Vecchi T, Merabet LB. Neural correlates associated with superior tactile symmetry perception in the early blind. Cortex. 2015;63:104-117. PMID: 25243993
Please contact us with questions or inquiries using the form below